Email This Post Email This Post Print This Post Print This Post

Visas for Canadians to go to Mexico

This information is taken from the Mexican Consulate General web site in Vancouver, BC, Canada

May 8, 2010


Canadian and U.S. citizens, as well as minors, do not require a visa to visit Mexico for up to 180 days; however, the immigration officer at the port of entry will determine the exact authorized period for each tourist, which is up to a maximum of six months. Visitors are required to have a Mexican tourist card, which can be obtained upon presentation of proof of citizenship (i.e. passport, birth certificate or citizenship card, plus a driver’s license or an official I.D.) The Mexican tourist card can be obtained at this Consulate, airlines or at the port of entry.

Landed immigrants of Canada traveling to Mexico as a Tourist.

The National Institute of Immigration of the Ministry of the Interior in Mexico through this Consulate General of Mexico in Vancouver, informs that starting on December 1, 2003, landed immigrants of Canada do not require a visa. However, they do need a tourist card, which may be obtained at this Consulate, airlines or at the port of entry, and they must travel with the following:

  • Valid passport
  • Landed immigrant ID card
  • Round trip ticket
  • Proof of economy solvency (credit card, traveler’s cheques, etc.)

If a visa is required, the following are needed for the Tourist Visa application:

1. – Application form.

2. – Valid passport (minimum validity of six months from the date of entry).

3. – One recent front -view passport- sized photo.

4. – Canadian Visa. (Multiple entries)

5. – U. S. Visa if your flight stops in the United States.

6. – Bank statement or international credit card.

7. – Round Trip ticket or itinerary from a travel agency.

8. – Consular fee, as established at the time of application.


Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who wish to enroll in a Mexican college or university to commence or continue studies, to conduct research to obtain a graduate certificate or to earn credits, must obtain a student visa. The following documents are required:

1. – Visa application form.

2. – Acceptance letter from the school or university in Mexico that the applicant wishes to attend.

3. – Two recent, passport-sized photos (1.5 sq. in., no eyeglasses).

4. – Bank statement or letter from the student’s parent, sponsor or legal guardian certifying that he/she will receive at least US$300.00 or its equivalent in Canadian dollars, per month. This document must be notarized and authenticated.

5. – A consular visa fee in Canadian funds is required for certain nationalities.

Within 30 days of arrival in Mexico, the student must register at the National Registry of Foreign Citizens, National Institute of Immigration of the Ministry of the Interior (Instituto Nacional de Migración, Secretaría de Gobernación). In Mexico City, this office is located at Homero 1832, Chapultepec Polanco, Miguel Hidalgo, CP.: 11570, México D.F. To register outside of Mexico City, please contact the regional offices of the Ministry of the Interior.

A person entering under a student visa who would like to engage in an internship program after his/her study program must change his/her migratory status at the Mexican National Institute of Immigration of the Ministry of the Interior.


  • This FM-3 permits the applicant to stay in Mexico for a period of one year, and permits multiple entries during the time is valid.
  • The FM-3 is renewable four times. A renewal is granted by the Ministry of the Interior (Secretaría de Gobernación) and must be applied for through any Immigration Officer while in Mexico.
  • The student visa must be used within 90 days after the day of issue.
  • Students are not allowed to work or engage in any remunerative or lucrative activity, unless an internship participates as part of the study program.
  • A student enrolling in a Spanish language course that will not count for any credits, and that lasts a maximum of 180 days, may enter as a tourist.
  • Consular fee in Canadian funds can be paid in cash or money order payable to the Consulate General of Mexico.
  • A student’s wife and children may also be admitted and will be issued similar documents. Proof of relationship must be presented (Marriage or Birth Certificates). Financial resources equivalent to another 25% of US$300.00 per dependent must be presented.
  • Please note that foreign students in Mexico are require to be registered in the “Registro Nacional de Extranjeros” within the following 30 days after their arrival.



Foreigners wishing to enter to Mexico for certain business activities, (such as to attend business conferences, negotiate contracts, purchase goods for export, interview partners, sales or manufacturing representatives, or to investigate mining exploration,) may apply for a multiple entry visa at this Consulate General upon presentation of the following documents:

  • Application form provided by the Mexican Consulate.
  • Valid passport (minimum validity of six months from the date of entry).
  • Two recent front -view passport- sized photos.
  • A letter from the company represented or by the interested individual if traveling alone, stating the specific purpose and the length of the trip, and guaranteeing that wages and all expenses will be paid by the company or the individual and not by anyone in Mexico.
  • A letter from the company’s bank attesting to the financial situation of the company represented or of the interested party.
  • Payment of the consular fee, as established at the time of application.


Foreigners wishing to enter Mexico in order to perform specialized services in the fields of industry and trade, can obtain the necessary entry permit from a Mexican Consulate upon presentation of the following document, in addition to the documents mentioned above for the FM3 Visa:

  • A letter from the Mexican company stating the need for a specialized technician for a specific type of work, and addressed to the Consulate General of Mexico.


Canadian and U.S. citizens intending to do business or to explore the market, do not require a visa to enter to Mexico but need to fill out a form called “FMN 30 days” that can be obtained free at this office, airlines or at the port of entry.

The FMN form can be granted upon the presentation of a passport, or a certified copy of a birth certificate or citizenship card, plus a recent picture identification and letter from the company.

For stays longer than 30 days, the interested parties should follow the procedure mentioned to obtain a business visa. (FM3).


  • The applicant must understand that it is entirely up to the Consulate General of Mexico to determine which classification is applicable to each case, and which is based on the initial declaration by the individual on their intended activities in Mexico.
  • The consular fees mentioned are in Canadian dollars, and are quoted at the present rate of exchange and subject to change.
  • They can be paid by company check, money order, or cash (when applying in person); personal checks are not accepted.
  • The visas should be used within 90 days after date of issue.

Important note: IdeaCOM facilitates tips about legal and other matters as a service to our clients. Content provided here is for information and convenience purposes only and is not to be considered legal or other advice or an endorsement of products or services of any of the links. Details, costs and fees mentioned, links and veracity of content of external sites and companies are subject to change without notice and can be changed without our knowledge. For pricing, costs and information about third-party services, please contact those companies directly. For legal advice or help with any other matters, as well as for a quote related to your service or case, please contact one of our experts and make an appointment to discuss your personal or corporate matters on an individual case-by-case basis. For a complete list of our FAQs, tips and information, please consult our site map.

Tags: , , , , ,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_related_posts() in /homepages/23/d187487723/htdocs/ideacom/wp-content/themes/green-apples/single.php on line 29